Image above by the late J. Karl Lee, GTMAA member.
Our crew is saying goodbye to 95 years of firefighting history as we prepare to move out of a century-old downtown fire hall – and into a new hangout in Scarborough.
For nearly four decades, the decommissioned fire hall at 39 Commissioners St. was what our club called home. Built in 1922, this hall served the Port Lands area until it was shut down in the 1980s. Our friends at the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters Association, who then took over the building, have graciously allowed us to use this historic facility for our weekly get-togethers and meetings for nearly four decades. But since they will be moving to a new building in Scarborough, we’re going with them!
Photos by Louis Tam
Formerly known as Toronto Fire Department station 30, this single-bay hall’s most defining feature is the sprawling mural on the heritage building’s east wall, which depicts Toronto Fire’s response in the Great Toronto Fire of 1904. Inside, our meetings were held in the converted apparatus bay where the hall’s American LaFrance 700-series pumper was once housed.
While we await the opening of the association’s new hall, we will be holding our meetings and get-togethers in various corners of the city (to be decided). Our April 18 meeting is at Toronto Fire station 233. Future meeting locations will be announced as they are decided.
Photos below by J. Karl Lee:
Photos below from the City of Toronto Archives: