Another year, another great night out at The Canadiana Restaurant celebrating our history and raising money for a worthy cause. Saturday April 22nd brought out many members of our club, TFS brass both past and present and great friends. We honoured a dear friend and TFS retired Deputy Chief Terry Boyko that passed away last year. By adding is name to our Memorial bell and necrology. Terry was a great friend and amazing person. We had the honour of having Terry’s wife Lisa, daughter Larissa and son in law Shaun attend. Also we were able to present the Beauchamp Foundation with a cheque for $400. Bruce Beauchamp foundation, Bruce was a member of our club that passed away 30 years ago from cancer. His family started the foundation to help raise awareness and money to with cancer research. They have been able to help many other charities, last year they donated to help the First Responders that where apart of the Fort McMurray wildfires.
The Robert Andrews Firebuff of the Year got handed out to Linda Betsworth, a well deserving member who continues to show amazing leadership and dedication to the club and the canteen. “But when did she develop her interest in the fire service? Did the fact that her nephew is a captain with Brampton Fire Department have something to do with it? When she discovered our little group did she feel that her years of working with children would come in handy? Whatever the reason is, the club and it’s members were the beneficiaries of Linda’s dedication and willingness to come out night or day, hot or cold, to serve. She always steps forward and isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty…” as said by GTMAA member and past treasurer, Gord MacBride.
The Photgrapher of the year was awarded to Desmond Brett one of our long time members, for a great shot he took of the 3th alarm on Warden Ave one warm evening back on June 27th.
“Crews made their way into this front area of this large, multi-unit industrial plaza as heavy smoke rolled from the building. They located a well-involved area in the rear section of a large electronics store and started their attack, but the roof overhead, weighed down by an HVAC unit, began to sag and they were pulled out. As the fire progressed, it broke through the roof and caused a portion of the north wall to collapse. There ladder pipes and big lines were used from outside as flames rolled towards the front, with the entire A-B corner coming down, slightly injuring two TFS members and causing some damage to a spare aerial being used from the B side laneway. Flames devoured the front portion of the building but were prevented from involving most of the units behind. It took two hours to control the outbreak and several more for overhead. Losses exceed $2 million and the OFM is looking into the cause.” – July 2016 Trumpet