December 26, 2013 Ian Duke

Christmas Day second alarm on Highland Cres

Time of Alarm: 20:59

This long-smoldering fire went undetected as much of the neighbourhood had evacuated due to one of the worst ice storms and power outages in recent memory. When the people across the street did realize there was a problem, the blaze was already venting through the rear windows. Access to the area was hampered by ice build up and darkness. Four lines were laid into the ground floor and the walk-out basement; the most likely cause was an unattended candle. Canteen service was provided by eight volunteers until approximately 01:05 on Boxing Day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *